Friday, April 1, 2011

Week 2 - Restoration Reef - Alofi

As we said good bye to Cindy and Jeff from NZ and Teressa and Brian at Namukulu Cottages we headed to Alofi to start the second week of our break. Destination Restoration Reef, a home rebuilt after the Cyclone Heta in 2004 I think it was. Many homes along the edge of the island were destroyed and not rebuilt and the concrete slabs remaining are a testament of just how many there were.

Had a lovely lunch at the Falala Fa Bar and everyone must think it strange that tourists are still here when they should all be at the airport on a Friday, appears not many stay for two weeks. One older man thanked me very much for coming to stay on the island.



 The view is beautiful....shame about it raining most of the day though!
 Breakfast area
This is the path to the lookout for sunset and sunrise photo opportunities....check closely. Geoff has done it but I can only get so far. The reason being with a vertigo issue and the lack of handrails, I just cannot get past a certain point. Am I being a chicken?? I will try again another day when it has not been raining. Since Niue has had two Medi Evacuations in the first week we have been here I don't think they would be wanting to make another trip for some silly old fool trying to alleviate her fear of heights.


This is the point I am trying to make it to.................reef is visible and a nice spot to sit and contemplate many things....if you can get there!







 I made it along this narrow bit....but there my journey ends for the time being.
 This is the point I cannot get to.....nothing to hang onto and a drop onto volcanic rock below...which would not only hurt like heck but I am unsure how someone could get to you in a hurry.
 Geoff coming back from reaching the summit.
 View back to the house....can I get back there?

A drink to calm my nerves.....afterwards.......alcohol free!

 Rain, rain..more rain.... a day of leisure now.

Only one recliner....I think a certain person may have claimed it.

Turn away now if you are not into plants.............
They are so healthy and love the humidity.








2 comments:

  1. Looks like good accommodation. It was a shame you couldn't do the whole narrow walk path with Geoff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a such a wonderful place to escape! Thanks for sharing. --Ron

    ReplyDelete